Saturday, November 3rd 2012
Click to see how it went!
Open House-Style starting at 10AM and running through the evening.
Also known as: Super-crazy-awesome bonding over manual labor and free food.
I am expanding my garden to a serious degree, from 4 small beds on the side to a huge portion of our back yard. In order to do that I need to build several large raised beds (out of cement blocks). I could spend every spare minute over the next two months doing this myself, or I figured I could have a party and invite all of my awesome friends and do it in a day.
What do you get out of it?
- You get free food. I’ll feed you as long as you’re here, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast and snacks in between. Beer and wine will be provided (as well as non-alcoholic drinks). Vegetarians and gluten intolerants welcome. Vegans, we’ll talk.
- Crazy bonding with people you know and people you don’t know. If you’ve never bonded over crisp fall manual labor, you don’t know what you’re missing.
- More free food! In exchange for your help you will be able to help yourself to free produce from the garden next summer! You can stop by and pick what you’d like, or I can drop of a portion of whatever is ready to harvest. To give you an idea of what I’ll be growing: cucumbers, tomatoes, herbs, beans, carrots, beets, radishes, parsnips, potatoes, garlic, onions, cabbage, melons, squash, corn, kale, swiss chard, lettuce, kohlrabi, and more! You can think of this as my very first trial CSA.
- Warm-fuzzies in your soul parts knowing that you helped accomplish something as a part of a community, an amazing network of supportive people.
- Bragging rights that you’re 1) a part of the (sub)urban agricultural movement and B) that you were present at the first ever Om Nom Acre event.
- A coveted “No Farms, No Food” bumper sticker.
No experience needed. Dress in layers for the outside. We have 3 toilets, 2 hot showers, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a king sized bed, and a queen sized air mattress for anyone who wants to crash. Rides can be arranged if you are automotively impaired. You are more than welcome to bring friends.
RSVP on facebook or by email me at email@example.com