Adapted from Barefoot in Paris
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 head broccoli, cut into large florets
- 4 Tbs. butter (divided into 2 Tbs)
- 3 Tbs. AP flour or cornstarch for Gluten Free
- 2 cups hot milk
- Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp black better
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup grated baby swiss
- 1/2 cup grated muenster
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 (F). Meanwhile, cook florets in a large pot of boiling salt water until tender but firm (5 min), drain.
- Add 2 cups of milk in a saucepan. Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbs of butter in a second saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, making a rue.
- Pour hot milk into the rue and stir until it comes to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, until thickened. Off the heat add a large pinch of salt, pepper, nutmeg and 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Pour about 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of a baking dish, filling the dish with the drained florets. Spread remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with the remaining cheeses and breadcrumbs.
- Drizzle 2 Tbs. melted butter of the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes until browned.
Can be served hot or at room temp (read: a great make ahead meal).