- 4 Sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces (we used Costco’s Apple/Gouda Chicken Sausages)
- 2 Large potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Medium onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 can of chicken broth/stock
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes in their juices
- 1/4 cup red lentils (optional, we had some…I threw them in to see what happened)
- 1-2 Tbs. butter
- 2 pressed cloves of garlic
- A few sprinkles of red pepper flakes
- A few sprinkles of salt & white pepper
- 1 bay leaf (pulled out before serving)
- 2 sprigs of fresh oregano (on the stem, pulled out before serving – use a tsp of dry otherwise)
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme (on the stem, pulled out before serving – use 1/2 tsp of dry otherwise)
Also, I would’ve loved to put some carrots or turnips in here, but alas, we had none. I think the carrots in particular would enhance the flavor.
- Throw it all in the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
While I enjoyed this out of the pot, I couldn’t get enough of it on the second day when I took it for lunch. By the time I thought about taking a picture I was slurping down the last few drops of golden buttery broth. I will try to remember next time.